Mildura Weekly : Friday June 6 Vol 8 No 31
www.milduraweekly.com.au 4 Mildura Weekly – 06/06/14 LMW loses defamation appeal ONE of three former First Mil- dura Irrigation Trust directors awarded more than $70,000 in damages in a defamation case against Lower Murray Water in 2012 said he was relieved an ap- peal against that decision was dismissed this week in the Court of Appeal. However Jim Belbin said that with the relief was a linger- ing feeling the entire saga should never have happened. “The fact that a minister of the crown and a government agency has acted the way they have is very disappointing,” Mr Belbin said yesterday. Mr Belbin and fellow former FMIT directors Don Marciano, Frank Dimasi and Nancy Preve- dello were awarded damages in a 2012 Supreme Court case in which a jury found LMW had de- famed them after a letter written by former Victorian Water Minis- ter Tim Holding was published on its website. LMW appealed the decision, which was unsuccessful. The authority released the followed statement following the failed appeal. “Lower Murray Water chair, John Tesoriero today advised that the board acknowledges the outcome of the Supreme Court verdict which relates to the civil action brought by some of the previous FMIT board directors. “The Supreme Court has today delivered its verdict. The LMW appeal was unsuccessful. “Lower Murray Water’s cus- tomers have not borne the costs of the proceedings and the pay- ments awarded by the Courts. These have been funded by Lower Murray Water’s insurance com- pany.” Despite these assurances, Mr Belbin said he would like more confirmation growers would not be impacted by LMW’s legal costs. “Lower Murray says the in- surance company is bearing the costs from the court case, but what happens to the insurance premiums as a result of this?” he said. “And what are the details of this insurance policy? Are there any excesses, are there any exclu- sions? Growers have a right to know. “LMW have been very brief in what they’ve said.” Mr Belbin said that while he was relieved the legal proceed- ings had concluded, for him, the issue still wasn’t over. “For myself, I want LMW to pay the money that they have been ordered to by the courts, and will be further ordered to, as an order on costs from the Court of Appeal hasn’t been made yet,” he said. “I want them to pay the mon- ey, resolve any issues with the former directors of FMIT in good grace and allow us all to get on with our lives.” • Former First Mildura Irrigation Trust director Jim Belbin. Avoca salvage begins WORK started this week on preparation works to refloat the paddle boat Avoca. New South Wales Roads and Maritime Services last week granted an extension to the original May 31 deadline, saying it was satisfied with the efforts being made by the own- er. “The owner, who is respon- sible for arranging the salvage of the vessel, applied for an extension to the removal date and this has been granted after consideration of information provided, including the cost and complexity of the opera- tion, ” Acting Maritime director Michael Wright said. “A 14-day extension has been granted for the refloat of the vessel and an additional seven days to remove it from the water. We have been provid- ed all necessary documentation to be satisfied the complex sal- vage operation is under way.” The original notice issued by NSW Roads and Maritime Services stipulated the Avoca had to be removed from the water by May 31. The Avoca has remained in its current partially-sunken state since the early hours of ANZAC Day, just two weeks after selling at auction for $55,000. NSW Roads and Maritime Authority says barges and lift- ing gear have been sourced, and would be moved into place the beginning of this week. Full steam ahead! THE Red Cliffs Historical Steam Railway will operate for rides this Sun- day, from 11am. The train will pull out every half-hour with the final run at 3.30pm. Tickets cost $15 for families, $6 for adults and $3 for children. More infor- mation is avail- able by contact- ing 5024 1345. IT is quite possible a Sunray- sia resident has won division one Tattslotto, but so far the potentially life-changing sum has not been claimed. The winning ticket for last Saturday’s draw – worth $687,270.59 – was purchased at the Merbein Newsagency. Merbein Newsagency staffer Shirley Jenkinson is urging locals to check their tickets. “Everyone who entered needs to have their tickets scanned,” she said. “The win- ning ticket won’t have an amount on it, but it will ask to call Tattersall’s customer service. “We have a lot of regulars who buy their weekly ticket along with their newspaper, so it might be one of them.” It is the first division one win Shirley has seen in her four years working at the newsagency. “We have had plenty of second divisions wins,” she said. “There was a division one win here 10 years ago, but that was before my time. “Most Tattslotto places in Sunraysia have had a division one winner, so it was about time we won. “My boss Wayne Wil- liams called me Sunday morning to tell me, and he was so excited. “It’s been great for the community, with so many people popping in to see if the ticket has been claimed.” Winning Tattslotto ticket purchased at Merbein • GOLDEN TICKET: Merbein Newsagency employee Shirley Jenkinson is calling for the owner of last Saturday’s winning Tattslotto ticket to come forward.
Friday May 30 2014 Vol 8 No 30
Friday June 13 Vol 8 No 32